Los Angeles Catastrophic Personal Injury Attorneys
A catastrophic injury will change your life for the worse in mere seconds. An injury of this magnitude can limit your ability to make a living or even render you incapable of working. In fact, a catastrophic injury has the potential to make daily activities such as self-grooming and cooking quite challenging or even impossible. Sadly, such injuries impact both the victim as well as his or her family members.
An Explanation of Catastrophic Injuries
Catastrophic injuries are those that are severe enough to generate significant consequences to the victim. For the most part, this term is applicable to injuries to the spinal cord, skull, spine and brain. However, if significant enough, an injury to the legs or arms can also qualify as catastrophic.
Catastrophic injuries have a debilitating impact on the injured individual’s mental, physical and emotional well-being. Making matters worse is the fact that a catastrophic injury has the potential to devastate the injured person’s finances. Injuries of this significance make it challenging if not impossible to return to work, care for loved ones, engage in normal activities and make ends meet. Something as simple as combing one’s hair can prove difficult after a catastrophic injury. The impact of catastrophic injuries typically lasts quite a while, often proving permanent.
Our law firm is here to help in the aftermath of your catastrophic personal injury. We have helped individuals who have suffered a wide array of catastrophic injuries including but not limited to:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain injuries
- Burn injuries
- Car accidents
- Broken/shattered bones
- Internal organ damage
When can Legal Action be Taken?
California law mandates an injured individual file his or her personal injury lawsuit within at least two years form the date of the accident. However, there is an exception to this rule. Those injured by a government entity or an individual acting on the government’s behalf must file a Claim for Damages within six months or less from the day of the accident.
The Types of Accidents That Cause Catastrophic Injuries
Examples of accidents that lead to catastrophic injuries include but are not limited to:
- Slip and falls
- Trip and falls
- Auto accidents
- Automobiles hitting pedestrians
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bike accidents
- Construction accidents
Damages for Catastrophic Injuries
California law permits those who suffer a catastrophic injury resulting from another party’s negligence to recover two distinct types of damages: Non-economic and economic.
Examples of economic damages are as follows:
- Medical bills and medical expenses in the current moment and across posterity
- Medication costs
- Durable medical equipment costs such as braces, a cane, a wheelchair, etc.
- Property damage (to one’s vehicle)
- Loss of earnings and diminished earning capacity
Examples of non-economic damages are as follows:
- Emotional distress
- Physical pain
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
California law states an individual who is catastrophically injured is entitled to compensation for all items detailed above. Furthermore, individuals who endure catastrophic injury are entitled to recover non-economic damages both in the past as well as the future. Our legal team is here to ensure you get the most possible value from every potential item of damage, ultimately helping you move on from this unfortunate event with ample financial support.
Too many injured Californians make the common mistake of falling into the trap of allowing the insurance company to minimize their claim. You need an attorney that understands exactly how to recover the maximum amount of money for all items of damage available under California law.
Steps to Take to Ensure Your Catastrophic Injury is Properly Addressed
The most important step you can take to maximize your chances of a substantial payout following your catastrophic injury is to find the right personal injury attorney. Our attorneys are here to work with medical specialists to craft a custom-tailored life care plan. This plan provides you with the resources and help necessary to enjoy a decent quality of life. Life care plans also consist of funds for subsequent medical care the catastrophic injury victim requires. Examples of such care include medical procedures, surgeries, medication, assistance from nurses and physical/occupational therapy.
Actions to Take at the Scene of the Catastrophic Injury
In order to preserve critical evidence and prepare yourself to maximize your compensation after a catastrophic injury accident, take the following steps if you are able to:
- The first and most important step after a catastrophic injury is to obtain medical assistance. Dial 9-1-1 for prompt medical treatment.
- The next step is to reach out to the police so they can create an official report. You must request a copy of this report including its number.
- Collect the names and contact information of everyone at the accident scene.
- Write down the insurance information including policy numbers of other drivers involved in the accident.
- Take or draw a picture of the accident scene.
- Take photographs of the collision including vehicle damage and personal damage.
- Take pictures of the intersection and traffic lights.
- If injured as a result of a slip or trip and fall, be sure to take photographs of the condition that caused the fall.
- If you slipped on liquid and fell, take pictures of the liquid that caused the slip.
- If you tripped on concrete/asphalt, take pictures of its undulation or displacement and attempt to measure the height difference.
- If you tripped on unstable or loose flooring, take pictures.
- If you were electrocuted or burned, take a photograph of the equipment/item that caused the injury.
- If the injury occurred on another person’s property, obtain the name, address and contact information of the property owner and/or managing company.
- Create and file an incident report with the individual or business responsible for the property or equipment in question.
- Take pictures of your injuries from multiple angles immediately after the incident.
- Reach out to our law firm for prompt assistance.
Why Choose our Law Firm to Represent You
Our legal team has the experience, work ethic, and track record of success necessary to fiercely represent your interest in and out of a court of law. In fact, we are even willing to take on the most complicated and challenging catastrophic injury cases in Los Angeles and beyond. Our team exhausts every possible avenue to maximize client compensation for related medical costs, pain, suffering, diminished earning capacity, lost earnings, mental anguish.
Our proven history of negotiating lucrative settlement agreements is second-to-none. However, if necessary, we will zealously advocate on your behalf in a court of law. You will not pay a penny in attorney’s fees unless we in your case. Reach out to us today for a free case evaluation.